SEO keyword research is essential for ranking with Google’s constant algorithm updates.
SEO Keyword research entails looking for, finding, and analyzing queries that people type into search engines like Google and YouTube. The goal is to use the results to improve your search engine optimization (SEO) ranking or marketing and generate more traffic and leads.
The beauty of keyword research is that it allows you to fully comprehend your target audience and the products and services they’re looking for on the internet.
Why Is SEO Keyword Research Necessary?
It provides information that can help improve search engine optimization and answer questions like:
- What are the needs of your target market?
- What is your target market’s approach to finding it?
- What format do they require the relevant data in?
Once you’ve answered some of these questions through keyword research, it’ll be much easier to learn SEO tactics and rank on Google.
Common Questions To Ask Before Starting SEO Keyword Research.
Before you can help a business with keyword research, you must first understand the basics.
- Who’s their target market?
- What are they selling?
- What are their objectives?
Most inbound marketers and content creators fail here because they skip determining what the audience is searching for and concentrate on what they want to rank for; the main idea is to find your audience.
Here’s an illustration: digital weboracle (a digital marketing agency) heard about SEO and wants to improve its organic search rankings. To assist them in achieving their goal, you must first determine who their potential customers are, and to do so; you can ask questions such as:
- What type of digital marketing product are they offering?
- What services is their audience looking for?
- What keywords do their audience search for?
- What questions do their audience ask?
- Is the search performed on a mobile or computer?
- Where are potential customers located?
The tip of the iceberg is to provide the best digital marketing service that will help satisfy the potential audience’s needs.
Element of Keyword Research
When conducting keyword research, there are three common elements of good SEO keyword research that you should pay attention to.
- Relevance: every piece of content on Google is ranked based on relevance and will only come up based on the searcher’s intent. So to ensure you rank, your content must be the best out there and should provide more value than what already exists.
- Authority: You must do all within your power to become an authority in your space because your content will hardly rank without being a go-to person.
- Volume: the volume of your keyword is measured by the monthly search by the So you can rank on Google, but if your content has no search, it will yield no result for your website.
How To Do SEO Keyword Research As A Beginner
To ensure that you rank, follow these steps while conducting keyword research:
Step 1: Make a list of keywords relevant to your business or target market to search for: You can kick off the process by having a list of keywords in mind that you would like to rank for; this could be for your product, service, or topics your website addresses. Put yourself in the shoes of your target audience. If you’re a company like digital weboracle offering digital marketing services (like content writing, search engine optimization, social media marketing, Google ads, etc.),
You may have general topics like:
- SEO (214k)
- Social media marketing (90k)
- Lead generation (86K)
- Blogging (312K)
Those numbers in the barracks are keyword monthly search volume. The data allows you to determine how essential the topics are to your audience and help you create different sub-topics from the keyword.
STEP 2: Convert the keyword in the phrase: It’s time to brainstorm key phrases your target audience is likely searching for; with the above example, digital weboracle might have a keyphrase like
- Ways to rank for search engine
- Best Social media marketing tools and tips
- How to convert traffic to leads
- Tips for freelance bloggers
Key phrases are endless. The idea is to develop search queries for your audience’s search; the list would be narrowed down or widened as we continue. For any topic, you can repeat the process above.
Step 3: Research-related search: if you’re having difficulty getting the keyphrase your audience is looking for, use the related search option in Google. To do this: type in your keyphrase and scroll to the bottom of Google’s results; you’ll notice some suggestions for searches related to your original input. In addition, these keywords can spark ideas for other keywords you may consider.
Step 4: Discover average monthly search: put the word or phrase into a keyword research tool to discover the average monthly search; during this process, you will find other keywords, common questions, and other topics for your content or potential audience that you may have missed out on. You will also notice the keyword volumes vary. It will be better to target keywords with low competition to help you rank faster.
Step 5: Use keyword research tools: SEO or keyword research tools can help you develop topic ideas and keyphrases. Some of the popular ones include:
- Google Keyword Planner
- Keywords Everywhere
Now that you know how to uncover the keywords your audience is searching for, it’s time to explore.
Do You Need Help?
Digital Weboracle offers all SEO services from on-page and off-page optimization, pay-per-click campaigns, and social media and video marketing services. We have over five years of experience in providing top-of-the-line SEO services to our clients in Nigeria and across the globe. You can check our services.
Also, If you need help with digital marketing and website development, we can help create your business and marketing strategies, brand design, website development, technical infrastructure, marketing campaigns, and tracking infrastructure.